Thursday, July 12, 2007

Perfect Imperfection

Women, they say, have always been intriguing to men; but why only men, they have fascinated other women too. I have often found myself amused by the thought of my choice- a trifle different- in women. The common theme running in my choice of women is the apparent flaw in their character, a flaw for which they are unapologetic-as if it is their right. May be I empathize too much with them, may be I rationalize my straying, uncanny behavior citing these women; but most important of all- I see these women as powerful, independent and having a mind of their own. It takes lot more than heightened sexual libido, or frustrated love life to be on the wrong side of morality fence, and despite realizing fully well that what They are doing these women never cease to be themselves. No explanations.

If someone has looked at my list of favorite movies, Blue Sky tops the list. Its not a path breaking film, but the character of Carly played to perfection by Jessica Lange- for which she won a second best actress Oscar-is so fascinating that it reminds me of my mother. A 'child woman ' who is trapped in the chores of domesticity, and finds her solace in things where normal married woman will fear to tread. The character is so strong at the same time flawed that we overlook her flaws , and empathize with her in her misadventures.

I love Grey's Anatomy and have followed it religiously over the years. There are enough hot men, McDreamy & McSteamy and McVet, to hold my attention but what has fascinated me most in this series is its women characters. Again, one will be spoiled for choice because you have exceptionally beautiful Catherine Heigl, exceptionally talented Sandra Oh and very loveble Sara Ramirez besides the central character of Ellen Pompeo ( of whom I am not particularly fond of). Of all these women in the series, I like the one who came as this Prada wearing super bitch to destroy the perfect relationship between the perfect lovers. Yea, Kate Walsh as Dr Addison Montgomery is the sort of women I will fall for any day; notwithstanding my sexual orientation which is prone to looking at women more of as competition than companions.

Now I can go on and on how Kate Walsh looks so fantastic and chic in her tall 5'10" frame with her red hair, but I am not going there. ( how many women in their 40s look so cool without trying to look young?) She cheated on her husband with his best friend. She lived in with the friend for months to realize where here true feelings lie. Her passive aggressive demeanor, her honesty with which she accepts her flaws of being an adulterous bitch and her rapprochement with her husband's ex makes her so appealing. Her character is not perfect, not some self sacrificing career woman who becomes subservient to wishes of others. She stands up for her convictions, not afraid to take the wrong step and go back after realizing her folly. So many of us hold onto a wrong decision, but only few who have the courage to accept their failure can even attempt to live with a clean conscience. So I wish I could get my Addison, strong, tough, sexy and fallible.

No comments:

Post a Comment