Monday, July 21, 2008

Queer Eye for Straight Guy

Queer eye for straight guy debuted last night on Discovery Travel & Living, and being none too wiser I had to watch it to ascertain the queer quotient for myself. I won't bore you with the details which can be aptly described as how five 'fab' gay men give a straight man a 'make better' ( not a typical makeover, you see) encompassing his appearance, wardrobe, kitchen, , household and social skills.

I was expecting it to be a lot more fab, a lot more sensational and a lot more colorful. I think, the creator and presenters would have been a little off key in the first few episodes to gauge audience reaction to the new concept. While doing my pre-research for the show I found out that the also drew some flak for stereotyping gay men...I found all of them to be quite different, not like where they all are pinky pansies or muscled butch; thereby presenting a spectrum of 'rainbow' colors.
As I am opposed to any kind of categorization, I do feel that you don't have to be gay to have a fashion sense or have a clean, organized room. But, I do have to admit, albeit reluctantly, that more often than not gay men are better equipped to take care of things that most straight men mundane/ boring/ superficial ( all silly excuses) either because of their conditioning or their being plain lazy.

Have I ever been asked if I am gay because of my 'skills' in fashion, cooking, interior decoration, personal hygiene apart from being sensitive ( last one is really limit)...Having super intelligent friends does have its downsides, and them knowing my orientation without me having to spill everything is one of those downsides. :)


Update: Caught the second episode too. But it's a little too dull for my taste. They pick up the dirtiest, most un-groomed person and create a make better. Anyone can do that. ( read: gay) Why hire five people when I alone can do as much a good job :)

5 comments:

  1. i had posted a comment on this one, did YOU delete it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No..I didn't delete any comment..never saw ur comment..perhaps you switched window too fast before it could appear :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another thing about gay guys (like us) we all love blogging, ranting and passing our judgements!

    ReplyDelete
  4. okay my original comment which never got posted was "when does this show come?" I so much wanted to see it. bebe saw the second episode. tried hard to wake me up...i never did :( he didn't like it anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  5. kris--> what you said is very true..but I'd like to rephrase it by saying we are all 'attention seeker', Lol

    Flygye--> It's not all that bad. It's just that it's not meant for people like us..we have already evolved :)
    otherwise wldn't they have named it 'Queer eye for Queer guys' ( lame I knw)

    ReplyDelete