Saturday, October 11, 2008

In which we crib endlessly

Yesterday, Igot talking to a friend - technically not a friend but one of those people I am out to because of my existence on a gay social networking site- about our respective Sex love lives. Let’s call him Virtuous V. He has recently found someone for dating, which was quite evident from his radiant face and his efforts to lose weight, on the same website. I was more jealous than happy to hear that and I started to ask him about his affair and the ‘juicy’ details. In answer to which I got to know about his paramour’s 6’2” height and patiyala pedigree. He himself being a proud punju was beaming when he coyly discussed the stats, nevertheless I kept on nodding my head in strange detachment to this whole gay existential i-don’t-need-a-boyfriend epiphany that I had suddenly discovered.

I cribbed and whined about not getting responses, or rather ‘right’ response despite having a pretty ‘suggestive’ pic at the site. VV got amazed when I told him that I was getting lesser responses since that pic had been there for close to six months.

He gets amazed that I don’t have any ‘friends’ in the community as he has made five-six very good friends in spite of being super busy with two jobs. How did that happen, I ask him.  Ok, before that let’s go back how I got to know this guy.

VV messaged me on the same site around a year back telling me he was soon going to shift from Bombay to Delhi and was looking for possible boyfriend. Being the cynical guy I am, I gave him my standard reply that he was too goodlooking to be interested in me. He persisted and and I gave in by sending me my pics and phone number. Thankfully, he didn’t run away after seeing my pics . He would call me two to three times a day, interspersed with some inane SMS forwards which I found no time in deleting afterwards. He started talking about his area of work where I feigned some interest and asked him questioned after some bit of googling. Now, VV was highly educated, doing pretty OK in his career and most importantly sensitive enough to look over my average looks. ( He was sort of hottie, now I don’t find him that hot though)

So, what was the hitch.?

Most of the time, when I start interacting with anybody the question invariably turns to books. What books am I reading or have read etc etc? VV made a tactical mistake by telling me ‘Seven habits of highly successful people’ was the book he was reading then, and how life changing it had been for him. This particular book has its own importance in my life for being my first and last self help book I ever picked up ( didn’t have patience to finish that whole drivel). It was time for me to rethink. Here was a guy who waswilling to commit before we had even met once in person. Samantha Jones wouldn’t have approved of it and I concluded that he was too naïve, simple person.

 

Khair, to cut a long story short, much as I hate to judge people, I found him I was certainly not the person he was looking for. Later on, he came back to Delhi and I once pinged him once on the site to see how he was doing, and we kept in touch.

Yesterday, upon hearing my friendless, boyfriend less existence he asked me a few questions

Question 1 Do you follow up with the contacts you make ( read: hookups).

Answer1.Well, No!! I don’t follow up unless I am sure the person has brain and brawn. But I never call twice, and if the other person is not so enthusiastic, I don’t pester. 

Question 2: Do you make an effort to keep in touch with the people you like?

Answer 2: Sometimes yes. But, I have high self esteem. May be egoist. My best friend from school has not picked up my last three calls. People change, I know he has at least. I am not going to call him now. 

I am a taurean and very proud of being loyal in friendship or a relationship. I don’t do anything in half measure. I always think of others before me. My real friends who live everywhere except Delhi love me to the core. They make me feel what I think of myself without any inconsonance. 

Now, before I finish this rant I must add that though I am pretty cool guy, there are few things that perturb me. Chief among that is superciliousness. I like smart people and I know how to spot them. Secondly, I hate the favorite game played in Delhi Gay circle. Name dropping, precisely. I am not interested if you were invited to Rohit Bal’s Birthday party or how many times you had slept at Burman’s or Punj’s. I mean get a life guys.

Khair, enough of rant. I like abrupt endings.

9 comments:

  1. Hahahaha.....lolzzzzz......great post!!!
    And you are not the only one who cribs about his lonely existence on this planet...:)))
    My first and last self help book was 'The monk who sold his ferrari'...i mean how the hell do people write these books...and moreover how do people READ them? ugh....i couldn't go beyond the first couple of pages of that book.....
    even i am too much of an egoist to follow up with people who dont bother to remain in touch....
    and yes, brains, sensitivity and humility are the only three things i look for in a guy...
    well...i guess TABHI i am single abhi tak....:(((

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh! Self-Help. Never helps, really!
    'Suggestive Pic'?? You had to get one wondering, hadn't you - you tease!

    Looking for love on that website? It's next to impossible. If there's anyone on that website worthy of love, he's one in a thousand and well over 28 (aka too old for a rel~n for me). Even platonic friendships tend to wane, unfortunate as it is.
    I scarcely log on anymore. At a time, I used to spend all day on it... never predating but hoping to be caught! I suppose I've given up now.

    And too much self esteem? It's good, but don't let go of someone you truly think is worth pursuing. Find devious, nonchalant ways of sending forth signals. If there is no response, then click on the Delete button with tremendous regret but with pride intact.

    And yes, Delhi-ites suck. Exorbitantly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebel--> Being an egoist doesn't pay..I have no friends, no dates in this town and five days long holiday has brought me on the verge on a breakdown ;)
    but, as I say, it's better to stay hungry than to eat substandard food.

    USP-->it's not just self help books, I am not rigid about it..what I look for in a person is some bit of empathy..ability to understand without being judgemental...

    the less said about the site is better, no one comes there to make friends..I certainly tend to think that there is something wrong with delhi's water :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Make friends? No one comes there to find love, either. It's only fit for "Quickies"... ONS's...
    Of course, if that's what you're looking for, then it's cool. Though you don't seem to be that sort of a fellow. Of course, I could be wrong...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boy .. Reading your blog makes me realize how much of an education I need into the gay delhi lifestyle ...

    plus I really like your not having sub-standard food analogy .... :P ..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol @ existential,
    TLOB, you sound perfectly lovely,
    I hate self help books too and oculd never go out with someone who swore by them, i also have a selfish motive, I'm in the business of help, and if everyoe helped themselves who'd pay me to help?
    tangentially, Heard the theme of the show charmed? this line sprung to mind....
    "there's a club if you'd like to go you could meet someone who really loves you, but if you go and you stand on your own and you leave on your own and you go home and you cry that you want to die"

    I'm not saying settle I'm saying keep the existential "I don't need a boyfriend " but truly believe you don't need a boyfriend and suddenly a boyfriend appears, it really works, you're in delhi? that's unfortunate I just met a nice guy who's soooo funny and smart and reads (and not self help)but I can't have him since he's gay and he doesn't need a fag hag either, sigh but you could

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's time for a certain someone to BLOG again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cris--> welcome back! you don't know how happy your comments make me ( coming straight from a 'professional' you know..
    These days I am totally in 'I don't need a boyfriend' mode..just that i could do with a few real friends..
    and regarding the cute guy, I just hope mera number aayega..ever!

    USP--> I knw, I knw..I would soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I know nothing about Delhi's gay scene except what I've heard from a friend who's only been kind of involved for a half year or so.

    Sounds dismal though :( Though I guess there's at least some options for men? I've never heard of anything at for women.

    But, yeah, self-help books suck.

    And you'll find a boyfriend. Just probably not on the internet? I think these things just happen, organically.

    ReplyDelete