Monday, October 08, 2007

Shall I say Home Truths?

I am trying to write about my father, who is right now sitting in the next room trying to watch third India Australia ODI with undiminished enthusiasm, inspite of constant wicket fall on Indian side. I had promised Fortunata that I will write about my father in my next post, but later on I realized that it will be so much difficult to even give a snapshot of his personality in some 800 words. But, surely, I will try.

He was the person who married my mom and brought me and my sister to this earth. The reason I am stating this fact is that it was no ordinary arrangement. The marriage was his second and first for my mother. There are different versions of the story told by different people on why they got married. Different reasons and rationalization were handed out to explain this unlikely match. I still have not been able to collate all versions together and form an arc. I think Love Marriage is what people used to call this arrangement in places I grew up, and it was sacrilegious and forbidden for most of them. I was so much embarrassed by this word: love marriage. Everybody felt, at the time of their liaison, that it was nothing out of place. Many others have done this in the past and many will do, and it is just a matter of time before he leaves her for his 'legitimate' wife.

Our lives were in a constant state of paranoia, what if he actually does it, leaving two children with a woman with no income or fortune or a home to return to.

But, he never did it. And yes, I am thankful to him for that.

6 comments:

  1. Just came across your blog today...starting from this most recent post to the others - very nice range of thoughts and opinions. Are you sure u r in Delhi?? He he :) I am so biased!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sudeep--> thanks! I think hardly anyone reads me, so I have all the liberty to write whatever i want..and yea, I am in delhi, not from delhi..maybe that explains it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    I saw your comments on pakistanpaindabad and felt like checking out your blog. Read your thoughts and couldn't decide which one to comment on! Very nice posts, and its not difficult to know you as your writing reflects how you feel about life.

    Ved

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Line of Beauty,

    Thanks a lot. Yet again. When you sit down to think of your parents, the memories are too many and the emotions too myriad, but the journey is reallyh worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are these really YOUR home truths? i thought such things were only from the movies...i have all the respect for you...i couldn't have survived i believe....

    ReplyDelete
  6. My home truth list is very long. It takes long to accept them and put them in writing without feeling embarassed. My life is strewn with stories like this, you should read a few more home truths ( I am sure you must have read them by now)
    These are the things I want to blog about, because that's what I got..You should read my post inspired by 'Talk to her' where I conclude that the life some one leads become normal for them...
    Some where down, I am thankful that my life has been interesting unlike many others( here I judge again)

    I would have been a failure in life, had I not been a stubborn- I think this line sums it up

    ReplyDelete