Friday, June 15, 2007

Ok, So I have been reading
a lot of blogs.
And this writing style is
courtesy Chrisann.
It's no plagiarism
I just feel this style
suits my disjointed writing style.

I mentioned about reading.
Reading mostly Gay blogs
about being gay in India.
Mostly when I am working,
or rather when I should be working.
I get excited
at other people's conquests.
The whole story as to how easy
it is to get sex in gay kingdom.
How they met,
how did they pick each other,
how they did it,
where they did it,
how they forgot about it moments later
and went their own way.

Not as I am leading a saint's life.
I do get my share of "encounters".
I am not much into dating scene.
May be I am afraid of bad dates,
may be of rejection,
may be of the fear of my date not turning up.

What is the other way of meeting
other interesting men?
Dates who are not only good in bed
but can hold a conversation too.

Speaking of which, It's a peculiar thing.
Gay people's aversion to date with
guys with less than adequate ability to
comprehend or speak Queen's language.
Isn't it hypocritical of us to
look down upon someone just
because he is not very fluent,
or has some regional accent?
As CT puts it, he can't stand
guys who are too vernacular for him.
We all claim that we are not judgmental,
but are we not judging the person solely
on the basis of his linguistic ability.
Will these same guys not flirt with
a hot Spaniard even if he does not
speak a single word of English.
And what is the thing with the accents?
Why people categorize you 'ghaati'
or with other such epithets just because
you don't have a fake accent.

I ,for one, started learning the language
when I was doing my graduation.
Before this, I was too 'vernacular',
but now i realize it hasn't made
an iota of difference to
my thought process, my outlook
and the way I react to people and situations.
I am the same person when I used to speak
my mother tongue.
I may understand that people have
set attributes that they seek in their date.
But why be so rigid about something trivial
like this?

Ok, now the rant is almost over.
So I met this cute guy for a coffee date.
Before this we had spoken little on phone.
He said one his prime interest is reading.
I was more than delighted on
having found someone who reads beyond
'Dan Brown' and 'Robin Cook'.
Well, my hopes were not completely misplaced,
he arrived on time,
needless to add I was late and nervous
at my second coffee date.
He didn't run away,
neither did he make any faces,
on seeing me.
I was relived.
May be I am not that bad,
May be he is different
than other Delhi 'punju' boys
who look at only at how 'buffed' you are,
in case they are bottom,
or how 'cute' you are,
if they happen to be bottom.

This guy turned out to be a bottom.
So all my efforts of going
to gym for past two months
didn't go unnoticed.
and He could speak.
In english.
(Ha ha , I am contradicting myself)
Cute boy works in HR,
I just can't understand
what is the connection between
gay guys and HR.
Why are they always found in 'soft' work such as 'HR'.
Anyways, the date did go off well.
we might sometime in future
for a movie or some other kind of 'hang out'
Unfortunately, No Hanky-Panky.
We both do not have 'Place'.

7 comments:

  1. I see my name on a page :)
    thank you
    very flattered
    no really!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris : I am more flattered by your coming and reading my blogs. Not just that, but actually commenting on it. You have inspired me in more ways than one!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. u've been blogging for LONG! it will take some time before i finish reading all ur posts so i was just rushing thru them.....
    we will not accept but the fact is that the human brain works like a computer. everything has to have a directory and filing system. when u meet someone who can not speak english u realize that u will have more things which will not be common with him...a few:a)he won't like the same music as u b) he won't read the same books as u c) he obviously doesn't watch any english movies or tv shows d) he may be someone who actually likes songs from jannat and aapka suroor......if all these things don't match then what's left to talk about, how do u move to the next level if u can't pass the first one of useless talk?

    ReplyDelete
  4. fly-->I get your point of not having a common areas to explore. But English language alone does not guarantee some affinity between people.
    Let's take books for instance- most of thee gay guy run from any kind, if they don't they are most likely to real chick-lit or books like 'five point someone' ( I have read just one chick lit in my life and was so disappointed in, but one conclusion that i derived from my reading was that the reason I can't write like most of other indian gay blogs eg Closetalk. WhipperSnapper and Unsungsalms is coz I didn't read this genre) please correct me I am wrong..

    every one in india, at least those of us who use net for finding a date, have a basic understanding on english. It's the whole emphasis that's put on accent which perturbs me. It's our inherent 'computer like brain' which starts to categorize people without even knowing them better.

    btw, do u watch grey's anatomy??

    ReplyDelete
  5. i still stick to my point. english may not guaruntee(always spell this wrong) affinity but it does help in the search for a common ground. i don't think gay guys run away from books...that is a way to general statement...maybe the guys u met are the ones who run away from them....and please ramby does not talk the way he does because he reads 'chick-lit'. he write that way only because he's intelligent and smart. that's it(still haven't read much of CT because i can't ad his blog to my blogroll :(. put on accent is a different thing all together. i don't watch grey's anatomy cause i missed the first few seasons. gonna buy the series this time when i go to china ( u get real good print there - long live piracy)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I think I haven’t put across my point clearly. English speaking ability was just one of the filters that people employ, and I am against any filter whatsoever. What I meant was that it’s facile to use filters when you meet someone. It’s same as saying that I want nobody less than 6’ tall, a shade darker than Kareena Kapoor and less hunkier than Hritik Roshan or for that matter, I have never come across any personal ad which ask for a certain IQ or EQ( isn’t that more important). I understand everyone has their preferences but you are not going to bed everyone you meet. Why not meet somebody just for the novelty of it. In west, people regularly go out with people much below their social status ( George Cloony, Matt Damon )…I mean isn’t it much more better when we meet somebody for who they are instead of what they do, and what professional qualification they hold or how much they earn and what car they drive. ( trust me guys judge u on this too)
    Now, as far as my analysis and chick lit and its correlation is concerned I know it’s treacherous path. It’s based on the simple funda of ‘conditioning’ in psychology. I am just suggesting that one’s writing style is influenced by what one reads. It’s very much similar to saying your speaking pattern is influenced by how people around you speak. Speaking style ( not the dialect) of people from Delhi, MP, Bihar and UP differ considerably, though they all speak hindi. I am not trying to deprecate anyone by saying that they write in certain style, I wish I was as smart to writelike ramby; but I would stick to the point. (Besides, which literary book has the style adopted by ramby where you are given ‘gasping, ‘sighing’ like emotions in parenthesis at every alternate line)

    ReplyDelete
  7. first of all i start by defending ramby. i haven't read any chick-lit so to speak so i wont' know if they have any *sighing**gasping* etc in every alternate line....but if u have chatted online for a long long time and on applets other than yahoo etc, there used to be these things just like a smiley(i forget the name) where if u click for eg slap it will say *flygye slaps this n this* or if u clicked cry, the screen would read *flygye takes out his handkerchief, rolls over on the floor and starts crying* i think that is some sort of that hangover. i use it too, sometimes at some places.

    why not filter?? how are u going to find 'the one' otherwise? i'm not a communist! everyone is not 'equal' in my eyes. i don't mind people asking for a 'hung, 6' hairy n fair' partner. hey if u don't like the *looks* of the other person in the first place, how are u going to carry it on? aren't dates a sort of screening process? or do u jump into the bet with the next rickshaw-walla 'for the novelty of it'? when we are taliking about dating, we mean a we're looking for a partner for sexual n emotional intimacy. i can't go about 'dating' paan-beediwalas for the novelty. i will *talk* to them for the novelty but definitely not imagine myself taking one to cafe coffee day even if they were saints as a person. i wouldn't even take saints on a date. i am not one and i don't expect the other person to be one either. George clooney and Matt Damon are going out with 'intelligent' persons. They may not be at the same level in terms of 'money' n 'fame' as these guys but it doesn't mean that they are any less intelligent !!! Judge all u want but i will go mad if i dont filter.

    ReplyDelete